The emphasis on the importance of having a brand identity can’t be enough. A lot has been talked about it, but still, many businesses ignore this important aspect. A brand is the face of your company. It is the first interaction point between you and your consumers. Thus, having a brand identity is imperative to make the business stand out and memorable for the people.
In this blog, we will learn what a brand identity is and how to create a visual identity for your brand.
What Is Brand Identity?
A brand identity is the company’s look and feel. It includes all the features of the firm like name, design, and so on. It is something that makes the product/services you are selling unique and distinguishable from the rest of the sellers.
A brand identity is created using physical and visual elements. Another important tool that makes up your brand is the emotional connection the user feels while using your product/service. The interaction with the business and team and the location of the business also factor into building a brand.
Brand identity is the first interaction with a consumer that leaves a lasting impression on them. It uses various elements for building the visual identity of the brand.
Brand’s Visual Identity
Visual identity is all the things that the consumer can see about the company. The consumer and client associate the business with these elements and the brand’s visual identity is created.
The visual identity includes tools like:
- Color scheme
- Imagery Styles
- Brand’s voice
The important thing here is to build a visual identity that resonates with the company’s goal and overall nature.
How to build your brand’s visual identity?
1. Know your audience
You can’t build a brand’s visual identity if you don’t know your audience. So, the first step is to find out everything you can about them. Research about them and find out the factors that will affect their decision regarding your services. Also, learn about your competition and what they are offering. This will help you do things differently and approach your consumer with something new to build a better brand strategy.
Not all people will buy your product; find the right fit by analyzing:
- Age, gender, job description, income, and education level.
- Their personality like and values, hobbies, and interests.
- Their lifestyle.
- Their problems and how your product can help them.
2. Why the brand was established?
The target consumer you want to service has been decided. You know their needs, spending capability and so on. Now, you need to define your brand.
- Define the long-term objectives you have in mind.
- Why the service you give is being offered.
- What is the long-term goal of the brand?
- How will it help the consumer?
- What are the mission, vision, and statement that your brand will live by?
3. Brand personality
Now, that you know what your brand’s mission and goal are. You need a person that can represent it in the best way. This means hiring a spokesperson that can communicate the message, goal, and mission of the brand easily to the consumer. This person will help create the brand personality in a way that is understandable to people. The way of walking and talking etc. all matters and thus, the person responsible for this job needs to be efficient.
4. Have an emotional appeal
Having an emotional appeal for your brand is important. It helps you connect with your target consumer. Have answers to these questions:
- How the consumers should feel after interacting with your brand and services?
- What is your brand story? How will it connect with customers?
- How you want the emotional appeal to show in your brand’s visual identity.
5. Elements of visual identity
Once you have answered all the above questions. You need to start creating your brand’s visual identity. For this, you will need the help of these elements:
- Color palette: Pick colors that match your company’s nature and overall brand.
- Typography: Select a primary and secondary font that will be used uniformly in all the visual elements. Mention the size of both the fonts’ family too.
- Define the kind of imagery you want: Describe the type of imagery you want in your website/blog, etc. It should be something that represents your brand. Also, mention whether you want original photos or stock ones. It will also include illustrations, gifs and so on.
- Logo: It is the most important part of your brand’s visual identity. It should match with the company’s goal. Design it to be simple, unique and memorable. You can easily create one using logo designing tools like Canva.
- Branding guide: This will be a document that has all the instructions about how and where to use the visual elements. Every employee will have access to it so that every element has a consistent theme.
These ways can help you know which factors are needed for visual identity. It will further aid you in creating the brand’s visual identity. It is a crucial step for your business to connect with consumers. A lasting brand identity will help you thrive amongst the cut-throat competition. So, invest in this and reap the benefits.
When was the last time you looked at your visual identity?
Join the conversation here @mmgtweets. And don’t forget to share.
Prince Kapoor is a seasoned Marketing Analyst and Blogger. With his skills, he has been helping fellow marketers and brands worldwide. You can reach him out on www.princekapoor.com